‘As one would expect, horse troughs sit near where the main roads associated with the livestock trade enter the city from the North, East and South. A fourth can be found in ….. All are concrete but cast in two pieces and of Victorian Gothic design. It is possible that they are of nineteenth century date (concrete was used in the foundations of St. Patrick’s Bridge in 1860), but is more likely that they are of early 20th Century manufacture.’
Cork City : A Field Guide to its Street Furniture – Tom Spalding
Where are they?
‘During the 1930’s and 40’s a market was regularly held on the eastern end of Douglas Street near the old Post Office. People from the countryside would bring their produce on the train and disembark at the Cork-Macroom Station, present day Capwell Bus Station, and place their wares on sale for the people of the city. An old horse trough is still there today marking the area…..’
A Walk Through The South Parish – “Where Cork Began” – Roger Herlihy (Red Abbey Publications, 2003)